- Let’s talk about the wood on the outside of your house. Most houses built after 1984 used Tree-Farm wood on the Trim (Fascia, Frieze Boards, Rake Boards)…
- Tree-Farm wood consists of young trees that were still drinking water (about 20 yr old trees) that were cut into boards and placed into a kiln. They are then painted and placed on the OUTSIDE of your home….
Let’s review what that actually means:
- Baby Wood That is STILL THIRSTY
- Place in KILN to Dry out…(STILL VERY THIRSTY)
- Painted with what amounts to WHITEWASH (Water Based Paint)
- Placed on the outside of your Home (I live in Virginia Beach, where temperatures can fluctuate 40° in a day …..and it rains Sideways!!
That wood is not designed to last with those factors present.
What other elements affect the wood?
- Carpenter Bees
- Wood Peckers….
SO what do you do?
- You can try and paint it every 2-3 Years (Paint is basically Whitewash because all the Lead & Mercury have been removed) The cost appears reasonable except when you consider it needs to be done every 3 to 4 years ….
- You Can Replace with PVC wood- This is a great option: however, it may be cost prohibitive in some cases.
- You can trim the wood with a PVC Coated Trim Sheet and cover all the soffit with a vented material to protect the wood and increase the Ventilation to the home. This option is the most economical overall and can be done using a variety of different quality materials, thus costs can vary.
- One of biggest issues of a quality trim job is the fact that it is a function of 10% Materials and 90% the Artist bending the metal. Trim can look rather simple but if they don’t put proper bends in the metal to add integrity to the product (and its quite decorative)…without this (wrapping it flat…) wind can get behind and pull the trim away, letting water get at the wood… thus defeating the purpose of the trim.
- Soffit Materials can be an issue of cost savings and seeing the difference between a CertainTeed HiddenVent vs. a Builders Grade Cheese Grater can mean a difference of hundreds of dollars in the job.
Trim finishes the house and eliminates the paint brush from your future!!